Medical Examination for Domestic Employees
- Domestic expatriate employees who arrive to the Kingdom of Bahrain and wish to take up an employment, require obtaining a work permit in order to become legitimate workers in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- One of the main requirements for obtaining a work permit is the medical examination. The medical must be performed at the country of origin from an approved
Wafidmedical centre (an association created to provide medical examinations) and even upon arrival to the Kingdom of Bahrain after obtaining the permit, please check the list of Medical centres approved in the Kingdom of Bahrain PDF (434 KB).
Domestic Pre-Employment Process Description
- During the submission of new work permit the domestic employer should select three preferred medical centres.
- Once the new work permit is issued, then:
- For Domestic Employees in the Kingdom of Bahrain: They must visit the Labour Market Regulatory Authority (LMRA) to complete the enrolment process, issue the residency permit and issue the Ministry of Health's (MOH) appointment.
- For Domestic Employees out of the Kingdom of Bahrain: once they arrive to the Kingdom of Bahrain, the domestic employee must visit the Labour Market Regulatory Authority's (LMRA) counter at the airport to complete the enrolment process, issue the residency permit and issue the Ministry of Health's (MOH) appointment.
- During the enrolment process, the Labour Market Regulatory Authority's (LMRA) system shall contact the Ministry of Health's (MOH) system automatically in order to issue the appointment based on the available slots as per the employers selected preference and if it was not available then the Ministry of Health (MOH) system shall issue an appointment for a fourth available health centre.
- The employer will be able to update the appointment's date and select another health centre in the Kingdom of Bahrain’s National Portal - Medical Examination Appointments/Medical Result Service up to one day prior to the appointment due date.
- If the appointment due date was missed, then the domestic employee should visit the health centre where the appointment was scheduled to continue with the medical examination.
Domestic expatriate employees arriving to the Kingdom of Bahrain from abroad, and those who already reside in the Kingdom of Bahrain, must follow the below steps in order to complete the medical examination procedure:
- General Rules for the Pre-employment Medical Examination of Domestic Expatriate Employees:
Domestic expatriate employees shall be examined against several diseases and a report will be issued, that clearly indicates whether they are fit or unfit for duty.
- Authorized Medical Centres Outside the Kingdom of Bahrain through Wafid's platform:
- The medical examination has to be performed at an authorized medical centre for prospective domestic expatriate employees before arriving at the Kingdom of Bahrain, employer may check the authorized health centres located at their countries by visiting Authorized Health Centres Outside of the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- Domestic expatriate employees whose countries are not included in the list will be able to conduct their health screening at any hospital or medical centre of their choice back home and by attaching the Non Wafid Medical Check Up Form PDF (427 KB) while applying for a New Work Permit application.
The issued medical report must be submitted to the prospective employer in order to apply for work permit application.
Last Update: Monday 3 July 2023